Blog Post #2 - A current event
Hi everyone! It looks like most of us have our blogs set up and ready to go. Of course, as with any new activity, there is a slight learning curve. I am still trying to work out the technical issues but I think we are getting it.
Before I give you your next assignment, I just want to remind you of a few things... Our blogs are read by everyone, so if you don't want the world to know it, just don't type it. You'll be glad later =) Also, keep in mind that grammar and punctuation are good things. Although we may be use to typing quickly on messenger or Facebook, we should slow down and pay attention to complete thoughts and correct spelling (spell check is amazing!).
And now to your next assignment... Here is what you need to write about by Sunday:
Check out any major news website and find a current event related to any Spanish speaking country. In your blog, include a link to the article as well as a brief summary of the article. Next, tell me what were your thoughts about the article. Were you aware of this event? Do you think the event will effect you, either directly or indirectly?
I would like to share one I found... I found this article on NPR and it is quite disturbing. Ciudad Juarez is known for being an unsafe, violent place due to drugs and gangs. I have often heard stories of civilians being killed simply for walking down the street and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. This seems to be what happened to these young men. Three teenagers were killed while looking at cars at a local dealership. They ranged in age from 15-17 and two of them were US citizens. I think this is just a small insight into the things that happen in Ciudad Juarez, and it makes me wonder how people go about their day to day lives. I couldn't even imagine walking down the street not knowing if I would be make it back home safely. Situations like this bring attention to an issue that we often times choose not to think about because it is not in our "backyard," but instead another country away. What can we as human beings do to help our neighbors? To say this is a tragic incident is an understatement.
What are your thoughts??
I would like to share one I found... I found this article on NPR and it is quite disturbing. Ciudad Juarez is known for being an unsafe, violent place due to drugs and gangs. I have often heard stories of civilians being killed simply for walking down the street and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. This seems to be what happened to these young men. Three teenagers were killed while looking at cars at a local dealership. They ranged in age from 15-17 and two of them were US citizens. I think this is just a small insight into the things that happen in Ciudad Juarez, and it makes me wonder how people go about their day to day lives. I couldn't even imagine walking down the street not knowing if I would be make it back home safely. Situations like this bring attention to an issue that we often times choose not to think about because it is not in our "backyard," but instead another country away. What can we as human beings do to help our neighbors? To say this is a tragic incident is an understatement.
What are your thoughts??
No comments:
Post a Comment